Unusual silence!

Well - all I can say is that I've been holding a watching brief since the last General election. Watching the man who won the seat I wanted, watching our MP's who have Ministerial positions. Feeling excited, wary, upset, cautious and ambitious - in equal measure. My immediate reaction to coming second was "Never again" - but, heck, I miss the cut and thrust of politics and I'm arrogant enough to think I have experience to offer - so I'm up for it again!!!

Monday 2 May 2011

Very few days left!

I have had some wonderful conversations with people in Wensum ward. I think that politicians underestimated the voter's understanding of the difference between local and national politics. There is an increasing wish to take real action on the ground - through Parish Councils and other, less formal routes. If local democracy is to take off and David Camerons "Big Society" is to work - as it once did before Margaret Thatcher said there was "no such thing as society" and set about destroying it - then involvement has to feel relevant and valued.
Too many people see little point as "the authorities" have disempowered them by increasing red tape and by the nanny state dictating their lives.
If I am elected on Thursday I will do everything in my power to encourage the Wensum villages to take control of their Parish Councils and other societies. The arrangement of Royal Wedding parties showed that they can do brilliantly when they see a purpose - let's put that energy into local decision making!

No comments:

Post a Comment

A family photo

A family photo
Sun shining!

Who am I and what's this all about?

Hi - I am a Liberal Democrat, was a Liberal - will always be in this party, warts and all. Lots of us have staggered since the General Election as some compromises are hard to take but, in the end, my beliefs are exactly those of my Party and therefore --- I'm here for the duration (mine that is!!)