Unusual silence!

Well - all I can say is that I've been holding a watching brief since the last General election. Watching the man who won the seat I wanted, watching our MP's who have Ministerial positions. Feeling excited, wary, upset, cautious and ambitious - in equal measure. My immediate reaction to coming second was "Never again" - but, heck, I miss the cut and thrust of politics and I'm arrogant enough to think I have experience to offer - so I'm up for it again!!!

Wednesday 14 October 2009

Let's talk about the "E-------" word!!

Yes, I do mean expenses - MP's expenses that is. In my working life, if someone is recruited to undertake a full scrutiny and to report back, their brief is carefully prepared so that all areas of concern are dealt with. Nick Clegg is right to point out that the main issue - "flipping" of homes to bamboozle the tax man - has not been dealt with. If the review has not been thorough then it must continue - the centre of Government must not be as difficult to clean up as the Augean stables of old.
Senior Tory backbencher, Douglas Carswell MP this week declared that those who believe that climate change is happening are part of a "lunatic consensus" - how green are the Tories really? Watch this space!

2 comments:

  1. it seems that the HMRC Inland Revenue are specifically following up actions by MPs, including 'flipping' that may involve capital gains tax...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes indeed - the potential for gain at the expense of the tax payer is far greater than any duck house or trouser press!!

    ReplyDelete

A family photo

A family photo
Sun shining!

Who am I and what's this all about?

Hi - I am a Liberal Democrat, was a Liberal - will always be in this party, warts and all. Lots of us have staggered since the General Election as some compromises are hard to take but, in the end, my beliefs are exactly those of my Party and therefore --- I'm here for the duration (mine that is!!)