Unusual silence!

Well - all I can say is that I've been holding a watching brief since the last General election. Watching the man who won the seat I wanted, watching our MP's who have Ministerial positions. Feeling excited, wary, upset, cautious and ambitious - in equal measure. My immediate reaction to coming second was "Never again" - but, heck, I miss the cut and thrust of politics and I'm arrogant enough to think I have experience to offer - so I'm up for it again!!!

Monday 29 March 2010

Please support your local market towns

On Saturday I launched my 'Shop Local' campaign in the thriving market town of Harleston to encourage people to make local towns their first port of call for everyday goods and services.

My campaign is supported by Robin Twigge, Chairman of the Federation of Small Businesses in South Norfolk, who met me there to discuss ideas to help the district's small businesses thrive.

Harleston is a fantastic market town with lots of independent shops, innovative businesses and new businesses investing here. I'd like other towns and large villages in the district to be able to follow in Harleston's footsteps by encouraging residents to buy local and use the great services that are right on their doorstep.

Some towns in South Norfolk are seeing a decline in trade with empty shop fronts appearing along the High Street. We mustn't let our local centres die but need to offer support now to ensure they are vibrant places that people want to visit.

The Liberal Democrats' key pledges to maintain vibrant local high streets are:

Ensuring a long term future for the Post Office by developing new services such as a PostBank

Direct help for businesses by reforming business rates, reducing employment taxes as soon as possible and cutting red tape

Providing fair access to credit by getting the banks to lend again and creating a more diverse financial infrastructure

Creating a fairer marketplace by ensuring sustainable retail development and taking a more localised approach to competition

Help me support and protect our local goods and services by shopping locally whenever you can.

1 comment:

  1. Jacky
    Not a sausage on Diss my home for 7 years before returning just outside Norwich last July
    Like all people your potential supporters are fickle they need to believe in what the Lib Dems can do for their family, their education , council tax and fairness in what they get for their money.
    Can Vince twitch his magic wand to get petrol down 80% tax on petrol is a disgrace and if we lived in France the barricades would have been erected months ago.
    Why do the electorate vote by the seat of their pants, if at all? The Lib Dems will hold the balance of power and south Norfolk folk, your constituents need to feel the value of our sincerity and fairness to do away with the pig cuddling Bacon who has a cushy seat as everything goes unnoticed until the public have had enough as we see with GB and Co
    At Aviva i speak with hundreds of people a month if I was on the phone to the public I would love to get them thinking the Lib Dem way thats all it needs
    I see Diss Fair Green is under threat 4 generations of Buckle have lived worked in Diss, my father 85 born on Fair Green. The Tory rag EDP says it may have to be sold.
    What comments did you encounter last week in Diss in your caravan? I could not be there I was at work.
    Why does everything hit the fan before some sensible dialogue can be put forward?
    I have every confidence your philosophies within the Party and your endearment to the public will unhinge the Tory b'stard.
    Im delivering for Norwich South in between ft employment but all stories that can be surfaced investigated that rubbish the Tories in SNC will be good. Not sure how LS by pass or lack of it can help you but it does bggar belief that NCC sanctioned Scole by pass 10 years ago unless of course Macgregor fixed it as he lived in Pulham so why has Bacon not done the same?
    I travelled along the A140 over 50 years ago same route today.
    I refuse to use the local rail service because it is like this country creeking at the seams. Thatcher wrecked the Train system in the UK it has not recovered and we run the risk of putting up with a tory govt who have no idea of getting us out of the economic mess nd I support VC with a cross party group
    I am off Thursday and Friday this week is their anything I can do to help you in South Norfolk ie deliveries and stuff?
    All best wishes good luck bring it on
    Steve Buckle

    ReplyDelete

A family photo

A family photo
Sun shining!

Who am I and what's this all about?

Hi - I am a Liberal Democrat, was a Liberal - will always be in this party, warts and all. Lots of us have staggered since the General Election as some compromises are hard to take but, in the end, my beliefs are exactly those of my Party and therefore --- I'm here for the duration (mine that is!!)