Unusual silence!

Well - all I can say is that I've been holding a watching brief since the last General election. Watching the man who won the seat I wanted, watching our MP's who have Ministerial positions. Feeling excited, wary, upset, cautious and ambitious - in equal measure. My immediate reaction to coming second was "Never again" - but, heck, I miss the cut and thrust of politics and I'm arrogant enough to think I have experience to offer - so I'm up for it again!!!

Thursday 5 November 2009

Time to say "Enough is enough"?

A quick trawl through the EDP today reveals the following proposals:
  • a fare hike from £334 to £501 for all students (post-16) from September 2010
  • the most needy students will have to cope with a rise from £167 to £334 per year (double!)
  • an about face by David Cameronon his "cast-iron" pledge to hold a referendum on the Lisbon treaty
  • a farce around the selection of South West Norfolk's Tory PPC
  • on the very day my letter expressing concern about day care is published - £40m of spending cuts proposed, by the Tory County Council, in the budget for Adult Social Services, in day care, bathing services and enabling grants for voluntary agencies which provide the very "choice" which people are supposed to have these days. Add to those, cuts in private care home contracts and half a million to be "negotiated" out of care packages for the most vulnerable people of society
  • Savage cuts in Children's Services budgets
  • and....last but not least...the refusal of Tory County Councillors to have a public debate about member's allowances in a Scrutiny Committee at County Hall . Have they learned nothing from the MP's expenses debacle? Do they think that the public doesn't know that at least half of them have a pecuniary interest in retaining their "twin hatter" status by opposing unitary status for Norfolk/Norwich?

When I say "enough is enough" I mean that people want to see real change from the current red/blue, blue/red pattern. Choosing an MP isn't about going along with the patterns of the past - what do you say?

No comments:

Post a Comment

A family photo

A family photo
Sun shining!

Who am I and what's this all about?

Hi - I am a Liberal Democrat, was a Liberal - will always be in this party, warts and all. Lots of us have staggered since the General Election as some compromises are hard to take but, in the end, my beliefs are exactly those of my Party and therefore --- I'm here for the duration (mine that is!!)